Friday, February 22, 2008

Dear Diary.....

I promise to spend some time catching up with my blog, but I'm sorry Matey, but it won't be today!

Rhi sent us scratching around in the rubbish looking for bits of plastic we could recycle onto our cards for this week's Daring Cardmakers Challenge. I really didn't think I was going to get this one doen because I have commissioned cards to do (last minute as usual) plus the last entry in a long running CJ to finish so that the book can be returned to its owner after its long long journey. Thanks to Karen saying it was OK if I sent her CJ off next week and managing to get the first (and most urgent) of the commissions done this morning I was able to make this card.
It's a bit rough around the edges and with more time I'd have had another go at the B&W edging because it's not as tidy as I'd have liked, but this is a "thrown together" sort of card so I hope you'll see past the messy bits!

I started off with the packaging from some new Cuttlebug platforms.
I made a scalloped edge from the plastic by first making a template with punched circles stuck on a strip of card.
This strip was then fixed temporarily to the plastic so that I could cut around the wiggly bits.

I cut the lower edge off the front of my card and stuck the plastic piece in it's place.
The B&W edging is made with Tulip pens - I'd planned to use gel pens but the ink just didn't show up, so Plan B came into being - and I was in a hurry so it's a bit blobby!
There's a strip of pink paper on the inside edge of the back of the card - you can just see it on the right hand side of the photo - which shows through the plastic border. The papers used are just a bit random - again, because I was in a hurry. I punched a little flower from more of the plastic to make the centre for the flower, and coloured it with bright pink ink - but that didn't dry quickly enough, so I put the flower together then coloured it with more Tulip paint.
The little flower on the message tag is made from felt.
Please excuse this rather slapdash effort - time is precious atm, but I do hate to miss a dare!!!

14 comments:

Jo said...

This is not slapdash missus - tis a very lush card - I love the the scallop and the stripey bit and the flowers and just everything! hope you had a good w/e away :)

jo xx

LAZY-TROUT said...

Kathy I wish my 'thrown together' cards were this good - i would be over the moon!!! Just loving those flowers too 'drool'

Lythan said...

I think this is faberoonie!

Dawn Wheeler said...

Fabulous card Kathy a real work of art ,love it ,Dawnx

Angelnorth said...

Very creative! One man's slapdash is another man's gorgeous, as they say (don't they?!).

Andrea C (Frog) said...

Totally gorgeous Kathy, i love the colours.

Andrea x

Anonymous said...

Some gorgeous cards Kathy. Despite having to hurry up making it, it still looks fab... :)

tracie said...

I love it - so gorgeous. Love how you've used the recycled plastic and the flowers are great :-)x I better get started on mine.

Em said...

Kathy I absolutely LOVE this card - what a clever idea, well done you!

Chookarooni said...

Fabulous card! - all your cards are wonderful - glad you have a blog to keep us all inspired!
Mary-Jane in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Unknown said...

Well I think it's lovely Kathy!

Anonymous said...

I loved that card when I saw it on the DM blog. I didn't notice the "flaws" so you shouldn't have pointed them out :-)

xx

Gillian said...

Kathy I think this is Spectacular!!!! such a clever use of acetate. the black and white just makes it 'pop' too...

ps..i've just given you a little 'you make my day' award on my blog because you are sooooo special xxx

deb said...

Your talent leaves me speechless!! I love everything you do!! Such a joy to see all this creativity!! The colors are wonderful!! Thanks so much for such great eye candy!! Gets the creative juices going, thats for sure!!
Big hugz from deb in Minnesota USA