Friday, January 09, 2009

Salvage!

It's Daring Cardmakers day again and we've been rummaging through those discarded Christmas decoartions, cracker rubbish and of course the Christmas cards we've been taking down this week.
All because our challenge this week is to do a bit of recycling and make use of something that was heading for the bin on our cards. There's no particular theme, but if you do find something left over from Christmas then you can claim "double points" lol!
Please check out the DCM blog and the Teamies' own blogs for more info

I was looking carefully at the cards as I took them down earlier this week for inspiration and eventually decided that if I kept to a black, white, red and shiny theme I could use bits from some of the cards and also use more of the ribbon that I'd salvaged from our crackers (I used some on last week's Thank You card).
I'm still using lots of squares as you can see!
These are all punched from bits of the old Christmas cards. Some have shiny or glittery bits on them but using only tiny pieces means they don't look too Christmassy - at least I don't think they are obviously Christmassy, are they?
The glossy red card used to back the message is also from an old Christmas card.
The only "new" bits are the card blank, flower, brad and the black card used for cutting the greeting.The greeting was cut using the Craft Robo.

MIL has been in hospital for an op and I needed a card to send to her, I made this one using a sketch by Bex of JB forum.
Papers are BG Periphery, the gorgeous layered flower is from Prima, and the rub-on letters and tiny flowers are Maya Road

14 comments:

cookcreateread said...

Gorgeous Kathy! Love the black and red combo - it doesn't look Christmassy at all!! And the muted colours in the the card for your MIL are very restful and healing!

Lythan said...

that red, black and white card is so striking Kathy! And the restful shades of the other one are perfect for a get well card.

Karen said...

I love the black and red combo too, its so classy!

Hope your MIL recovers quickly from her op X

Kaz said...

Lovely Kathy, both of them.

are you offering to look after MIL post-op? haha

Angelnorth said...

Nope, not obviously Christmassy at all - looks fab! Love the soft look of the BG card too, beautiful and perfect for your MIL, I'm sure!

Anonymous said...

Deine DCM Karte ist total schön! Die Farben und auch die Aufteilung ist genial.

Janice said...

ha ha ha, just read Kaz's comment!

No, it doesn't look too Christmassy, I love recycled stuff on cards, great challenge.

Julie M said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog, Kathy!! I love your cards - the red and black is so striking (looks almost like glass). Julie

Hazel said...

You would never guess that the card was made from recycled bits - lovely combination of all the different squares. And the card for MIL is super (must get round to doing that template and DCM). x

Jackie said...

More great cards, love the black and red.
I've left you a message on my blog
Happy new year! xx

Jackie said...

More great cards, love the black and red.
I've left you a message on my blog
Happy new year! xx

tracy said...

very nice kathy,i would've had thought of using the cards like that,i always look at the pictures!!
love the mil's card too :)

CLARE said...

Great way of using up old cards - you have some really fab ideas

Ania - "Z Papieru Tworzone" said...

Lovely cards Kathy. I love your style!