Friday, July 03, 2009

Blue......and Green

It's Vanessa's turn to set the challenge for The Daring Cardmakers this week and she's chosen a colour combination theme for her dare.

I remember my Grandma saying "Blue and Green should never be seen" when I was a little girl - I never did understand why that should be because after all the grass is green and the sky is blue (sometimes) and they seem to be happy together, don't they. Or maybe not; because all the hot sunshine we've been having lately has turned the grass in our garden quite brown already!

Anyway, I like blue and green together, they always seem a calm, cooland restful colour combination to me.
Initially I thought I'd look for pale shades of the two colours as a starting point, but then I remembered on of my old Basic Grey paper pads (hang on while I go and check which it is...), "Boxer" - I do like the way the colours and designs go together in this set - lovely for men's cards - so that's what I ended up making.
Nothing complicated for this one, but some fave techniques and elements did find their way in.
I made the mosaic tiles by sticking various of the papers onto card then cutting 2.5 cms squares and using the Zutter Round it All to soften the corners.
For a change I joined the edges of the little tiles to make the design instead of leaving gaps between them.
The faux brads are scraps of paper glued to chipboard - I use whichever Cuttlebug die has the right size circle for the project - in this case it's one of those from the flowers die set. To finish the "brads" I put a blob of Glossy Acents on the top. Perfectly matching brads for all your projects lol!
For the lettering I used Mr Robo. For the word "birthday" I wanted the letters to sit on rounded rectangles so I first loaded each letter individually into a Robo page, then "drew a rounded rectangle around the tallest of the letters to check I'd made it tall enough, then moved it over the widest letter to make sure it was wide enough too. Then its an easy job to copy and paste as many as required.
The actual letters were then cut twice, once in card and the second time in the the patterned paper which this time came from the BG "Periphery" paper pad.

I used Hobo font for both the individual letters and also for the "Wishes" which I expanded the letter size then welded together first in Paint Shop Pro.

We'd love you to join inwith our Blue and Green dare - if you need some inspiration por maybe some convincing as to how great the two colours can look together, pop over to the The Daring Cardmakers Blog to see what the girls have been making this week - and to meet Gail, who is our fab Guest Designer for July.

Thank you to everyone who joined in last week's Post Pals challenge - I've not had a chance to get around and see all the cards because I've been really busy since getting back from our IOM trip - but that's on my "to do" list for the weekend. Just thought it was worth mentioning that the PostPals scheme is always there so just because the DCM challenge is over, doesn't mean that you can't send cards to those poorly kiddies any more.....

Right.
Still need to finish that Wedding card...
And I have something else I need to make by end of play today too.
And its still HOT - very humid today too
Thanks for visiting

14 comments:

Rika said...

Fantastic bithday card!

Anonymous said...

wonderful card Kathy!

Lythan said...

that is a great man's card Kathy. Those boxer colours are just fab aren't they

Kim Dellow said...

Oh so pretty, I love those ickle squares. Kim

Anonymous said...

Its a fab male card Kathy. I must try out making faux brads - they look great :)

Vanessa.

Angelnorth said...

Lovely card Kathy. There are endings to that saying you know "...except upon a fairy queen" is one "...except upon an Irish colleen" is another.

Karen said...

Gorjus card Kathy. Blue and green is my fav colour combo so will be having a go on Daring this week.

Love Karen x

Carol Plume said...

such an eyecatching card Kathy - its fab!

love those squares at the bottom - gorg xx

Janice said...

Lovely card Kathy, the colour combo looks good. Love the faux brads too.

Kaz said...

Love the card Kathy, and may I say that's a brilliant bit of waffle this week!! I loved the wander through your mind ha ha!!

tracy said...

i think blue and green go nice together:) lovely card :)

Karen said...

I love a blue/green combo as well and it is great for mens cards. Love your card Kathy XXX

Powerful Search Engine said...

I love the BG papers and how you have used them on this brill card, hugs Pascale

Jackie said...

Great man's card. I like blue and green together too.