Thursday, January 21, 2010

About the House

My project for Bubbly Scrumptious (emag for the Bubbly Funk shop) this week uses the Studio Calico papers in the Home Front collection.



I must admit, unlike some of the others on the DT, I've struggled with these, they've been sitting on my desk for a while now.  I kept getting them out, leafing through them and putting them back in the bag!  They are unusual and interesting designs but more specific to a theme than the papers I usually use - so they taxed this "bear of little brain".  


Some ideas come quickly, others need a bit more time.  We've been thinking about things we need to do in our own house, and also for some work we want to have done on a house we rent out to tenants, so we've been trawling around the DIY places, kitchen showrooms, bathroom places, tile warehouses etc. It made me think of work we'd already done and also about things like roof checks, external paintwork, tree maintenance that should really be on some sort of regular schedule to keep them in good order.  We're just not that organised but thinking about it all sparked off the idea for making some sort of organiser book for keeping a note of all this stuff.


I've made this "About the House" book while full of good intentions to do better about record keeping (when we did the work, who did the work, resources used, paint colours, serial numbers etc), and maybe also having somewhere to keep notes and clippings for future reference when we come to do things that are further down the "to do" list.
Obviously making something like this is no guarantee that I'll ever actually use it, but it's a start, eh?



You can see more about the book and how I made it by clicking HERE and if you joined in with my Sketch Challenge last week, the winner of the random draw, and therefore of Caroline's fab "Stamps and Ribbons" prize can be found HERE


Thanks for popping by - I hope you enjoyed your visit.
Please leave a message if you've time - I love reading them :)

12 comments:

Angelnorth said...

The book looks great Kathy, love those little tab organisers! Like you though, I'm never convinced I'll actually use something like that if I make it!

Annie said...

What a lovely idea Kathy. Oh to be so organised as to use it. Good luck :-)
A x

Karen said...

I too have struggled a bit with this paper but you have come up with a brilliant idea Kathy! Woudl be great for 1st time buyers too! XXX

Sharon said...

Fab idea for a minibook!

Scrappy~Sarah said...

Great idea, a very useful looking book. Fingers crossed you remember to use it :)

CLARE said...

This is just the sort of thing I love making - will def give it a go - well done for coming up with such an original idea

Julia Dunnit said...

Great idea Kathy! Great. We are in a similar position, but last year gave up and handed it to an agency....we have control but no direct contact...so much easier for us!

Kaz said...

That's a good idea Kathy, I'd have struggled with those papers too, but you've done a fabby job with them xxx

lisa said...

What a lovely project, Kathy. It sounds a great way of keeping all your bits and pieces in order.
I love your birdy cards too from earlier in the week, you are so creative.

Lisax

Lynda said...

Oooh Kathy they do look difficult papers to work with - I wouldn't have had a clue where to start but your little book is truly inspired!

Love Lynda xxx

Traceyr said...

That is certainly something different Kathy. A great idea to have a book with all your decorating ideas and recordings in. Brilliant!

:)

Hazel said...

These are great, Kathy - just what I need x