Friday, April 23, 2010

Die Cut Crazy

Another sunny, bright morning here - such a treat to have this period of lovely weather after that horrible Winter we had!  I've had the radio on this morning and apparently this weekend is going to see some parts of the UK having the warmest weather so far this year.  Shock!  I mean , last weekend was lovely (even warm enough to have lunch out on the patio) - but TWO weekends in a row would be almost unprecedented!  :-)  :-)  Not so chuffed about the high pollen count, but you can't have it all....

Anyway, on to today's crafty stuff

My Daring Cardmakers' Teamie Keryn is a bit excited at the moment because she's just got her hands on a Big Shot, how she's managed this long without something like this is beyond me, but there you go! haha
Anyway, apparently she's gone a bit Die Cutting Crazy so couldn't resist setting a die cut challenge for us this week.
So get out your Spellbinders, Quickutz, Bosskuts, Sizzix and whatever other dies you have lurking in your tool box and make a card using at least one die-cut shape - nice and easy, eh?  Any card, any occasion, any shape.  And there's more - because Keryn is offering a PRIZE as well - pop over to the DCM BLOG to find out all about it and how to qualify for the prize draw - and to see our Die Cut Crazy cards this week.

I set myself a couple of extra challenges to make life a bit harder for myself:
to use some of my older dies and to make a card for one of the THREE nephews we have with birthdays in May.  yeuchhh I don't like making Boy cards, they are sooooo hard!  I think if I was a stamper it might be easier as there are lots of images to help.  But I'm not, and as I can't do the colouring in thing there's no point in going there.

So, here's my very simple card
This one is for the eldest of the 3 May Nephews, who is football mad and supports Liverpool - so obviously I wanted something really bright red - the best I could come up with was actually a piece of wrapping paper.  It's actually quite lovely as it has sparkly, glittery stuff embedded into it, so that adds interest to what is a rather large amount fo plain colour.
The football is a QK die, I cut two of each set so that I could sandwich the thread between the two.
The sentiment is from my sheet of rub-ons made with decal paper from Crafty Computer Paper.  I have a confession to add here though - I'd planned to dig out the old QK alpha and number dies to use for the "16th" bit, just in the spirit of the Dare, you know.... I just don't use them since getting my Robo and  they are somewhere - all together in one box, but I can't find them.  No doubt they'll turn up when the much dreaded Big Upheaval of doing up the study happens.  So, it was back to Mr Robo instead, but it did mean that I could use the same font for the numbers as I did for this particular sentiment.
Football Ribbon from stash, I've only got a tiny piece left - must find more!

I added some green paper (BG, I think) to the inside of the card so that it shows through the aperture.  There was a fleeting, and soon rejected idea of Robo-cutting the marking lines of a football field for the inside - it would be cute, but time's against me atm so maybe if I do something like this again I'll have a bash at that too. 
That's it for today, I'm off now to try and come up with some ideas for those other "boy" cards....so think of me in my struggles, won't you?  I need them for an 8 year old, a 10 year old and one of my BILs, then another 10 year old nephew's in June....oh joy!

Happy St Georges Day to you all

10 comments:

Annie said...

Thats a fab card. I'm sure he will love it.
A x

Rika said...

Perfect for a 16 years old boy!

Lythan said...

what a great idea. I love the twirly football Kathy

Lynda said...

Just perfect for a Teenage Football Fan - and in his team's colours - can't ask for more can he! It's great Kathy and brilliant inspiration for those difficult boy cards!

Love Lynda xxx

Kaz said...

It's a lovely card Kathy and perfect for older boys.
If I lived closer I'd come round to yours with my stamps and colouring bits and show you that if I can colour in anyone can (failed art o level partly due to poor painting and colouring) xx

Angelnorth said...

Fab card for a Liverpool fan, love the spinning football! I've got news for you - lots of "man stamps" don't need colouring (vintage cars, pocket watches etc etc) so maybe you could do it after all!

Twiglet said...

Hi Kathy - just found your fab flower tutorial - they look so lovely - clever you! I will have to have a go at them sometime- might need to invest in the bits and bobs needed as I am not a real card maker! Your Wise word book is delightful - what patience you must have. Thanks for sharing.

Carol Plume said...

Kathy - love that spinning football great idea....fab card just right for a teenager.

Have a great weekend - hope you don't suffer too much...xx

tracy said...

thats a great card kathy :)

Janice said...

I would never have guessed that was a Kathy card if I hadn't seen it on your blog! Love the big expanse of red and the more subtle footballs, hmmm maybe more Kathy than I thought!