Friday, April 27, 2012

A Sporting Life

Over on the Daring Cardmakers Blog this morning we've announced the winner of the gorgeous goodies from Tea House Bridge.  Sadly, I didn't win - but as I wasn't allowed to enter, that was no real surprise, was it?  However, I'll be heading over there to buy some of Zuzana's lovely embellishments pretty soon - especially as thanks to last week's challenge I've had some to play with already.  I think the cotton buttons and some of the gorgeous antique lace will be first to hit the basket....
This week it's my turn to set the challenge and I've been rather self-indulgent, or at least self-interested 
"There are no fewer than 7 family birthdays coming up in May, and 5 of them are "boys".  I always struggle when it comes to making boy/man cards, and I know a lot of you will be just the same.   I thought we could all help each other out by challenging ourselves to make at least one masculine card this week - and to make it a little bit easier we'll go for a Sporting theme:
    The Sportsman
    So, a masculine card with a sporting theme - it can be for any age of "boy" you like - from baby boy to Grandads, just make sure it also has some sort of sport featured too - footie, rugby, fishing, weightlifting, golf, athletics....the whole sporting arena is yours to choose from"
The good thing about sport is that it does give you something to base the dreaded masculine cards around, doesn't it?  The really tough ones are those for those men who don't have something like that to latch on to!

Anyway, as one of our nephews reaches 18 next month, I've made a football themed card for him.  Now personally, I can't stand football and I really don't "get" the way it completely absorbs most of "my" menfolk - and some of the girls too, for that matter.
It's an easel card - I like the way they let you add plenty of "sticky out bits" which makes them a bit different, especially for a special birthday.
I made a template to cut on Craft Robo using some clip-out as a guide then cut all the different layers to build up the little footballer.  The numerals and letters are also cut using Craft Robo templates.  The three small footballs used on the band that keeps the card up are made from images found on the web - I resized the pictures to the right size for a small circle punch before printing them, and used plain card circle layers to make them nice and thick
I've just realised that I've forgotten to add some bootlaces....
Materials:
Bazzill card (beige, white, red, black
Paper from the scraps box for the hair and for the green circle background
All other papers Bo Bunny Weekend Market - I've used a mix of 12x12 and 6x6 sizes
Star brads (white, black, red)
White pen for trims on shirt etc
Tools:
Craft Robo (footballer, Numerals, Name)
Spellbinders plain circles dies, Small circle punch

I hope you'll join in with us this week and get at least one masculine card made and ready to send!
Thanks for popping in, please come again soon!

3 comments:

Kaz said...

This is fab Kathy!! Perfect for a special birthday too xxx

Angelnorth said...

Does stoking a steam engine count as a sport? I have a little boy card to make and I think trains are the only way to go on this one! Your footballer looks fab, love the star brads to finish it off!

Miri said...

Your card looks great. I like it that you personalized it with the birthday boy's name and age. Awesome idea!