Friday, November 02, 2012

November's Colour Combo



It's the first Friday of the month and this year that has meant a Colour Combo Challenge for The Daring Cardmakers - this is a special Friday for us too as it's the first Dare in a whole new year - we begin our 7th year of setting challenges today - doesn't time fly when you are enjoying something!

Today also sees us welcome Mirir (Mirjam) as our Guest Designer for the next couple of months.  Miri has often joined in with us over the last few years so it's especially good to welcome her to the team.  It'll be fab to see her cards on the blog.

This  month, Zuzana has chosen the colour palette - it's a lovely crisp red, green, white and blue mix to play with this time. 
  I'm still on a bit of a crusade to use suitable DCM challenges to make the special cards I need for Christmas.  I try to keep most of my Cword cards thin enough to send without over-stepping the measly 0.5 allowance the RM gives for standard post.  Not easy for someone who likes to "stick stuff on with abandon" as I do hehe
This one will definitely need a "fat" stamp!
The green, white, creamy brown and red were easy - they all popped up in the paper collection I wanted to use, but I struggled to get the blue into the mix.   I cut down on the amount of those papers I used and added in a lovely Bo Bunny one from a couple of Christmases ago for the snowy border.  I think it works ok now and I quite like the finished result.


Materials
Papers:
the top border and the sentiment banner both Simple Stories "Handmade Holiday" 6x6
Blue paper: Bo Bunny (I think it's "Midnight Frost")
Poinsettia made from some old paper from the Christmas Scraps box - I think they are from Fancy Pants, Small white flat backed pearls coloured with yellow ink and a sprinkling of Glamour Dust
Small flowers are made from flat, cream petals coloured with inks and formed around some white stamens (I inked some yellow)
White organza and pearl flower from Creative Treasures
Berries came from last year's Christmas Crackers, I added a couple of leaves cut into holly shapes
Wide, silver edged organza ribbon, A few blue gems
Tools
Craft Robo to cut the Poinsettia
Memory Box Snowflake border die

note; I intended have used the apple blossom type flowers from Creative Treasures rather than make my own - I could have sworn I had some in the box but when I went to get them all I found were lilac and lemony-green ones :(  The ones I've made are ok but not as nice as Tracy's, hey ho, you can't have it all!



As so often the case, I ended up making a new Craft Robo template for this card - in this case the poinsettia.  I really like this one - it's actually just the one shape which I cut in 3 sizes, a couple of times each - dead easy!
The DT have made some fabulous cards this week (they always do, though!).  The BLOG looks especially pretty when it's all colour-coordinated.  I hope you'll join in with us this week
Thanks for looking in today, please leave a message if  you can spare a minute or two!
 
Join in with "a Card a Day Blogging" by leaving a message on the post below this one, or by linking up with our Facebook group

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I love every bit of this card Kathy, especially the way you have brought it all together from the treasure in your stash.

Kaz said...

This is just beautiful Kathy, I love that bit of blue you managed to find xxx

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Beautiful cards Kathy, I really like the snowy border on your dare card, and that poinsettia is fantastic!

Karen said...

Absolutely beautiful Kathy :D xxx

Anice said...

As always Kathy another outstanding creation. I wish I had just a quarter of your crafting talent, that would be enough for me to triple what I have now. Really beautiful.
Anice xx

Tip Top said...

Just LOVE the ponsettia - I need to make a few cards with these on and I doubt mine will come anything close to yours!

Hazel said...

Stunningly beautiful card - I love the colour combo, the flowers and the snowflake die (I have that and think it is so useful) x

Traceyr said...

You are so clever with that robo Kathy. Beautiful card and I love those red berries too. Definitely need a "fat" stamp but worth it.

:)

Creative Treasures said...

A gorgeous card Kathy, I love everything about it, the blue border fits perfectly. I will pop some flowers in your DT package next week :)

Tracy
X

Zuzana Obert said...

Kathy, I love your card. It's perfect in every way and it's got everything for Christmas. That's fantastic now I am in Christmas mood again :0)

Zuz. (hug)