Friday, December 13, 2013

Christmas Film Quotes

Oh gosh, I really struggled with Beckie's challenge for the Daring Cardmakers this week! 
    Beckie here today with my dare for you .....
    'The best way to spread Christmas Cheer,
    is singing loud for all to hear.'
    I love the movie Elf and this has to be one the best sayings from the movie! So this week I am challenging you to use a quote from your favourite Christmas movie on your card.

Well - I think the last time I watched a "Christmas" film it would have been "The Snowman" as we'd sit the whole school (4-7s) down in front of it as a treat just before the Christmas holidays to give us teachers the chance to do some clearing and sorting!  As you'll undoubtedly know, there's not much in the way of dialogue in that one!
I MUST have seen some of the films that came up in my google search, but obviously they didn't make much impact.  So I cheated and just looked around for a quote that I could use whether or not I'd seen the film.  I found one from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" based on the Dr. Seuss story and I think it sums up what Christmas is all about.
Here's my card
I started by making the text piece on the pc, then printed it twice.  One to use for the card, the other to use as a pattern as I wanted to do a bit of emboss-resist around the text.  This involves cutting around the text, then making a couple of layers of the same patterned "hole" and sticking them together.  It's easy to do using a die-cut shape, but a bit more work when you want a more free-form space like for this.
That done, I placed the other printed piece of card in the embossing folder, then the aperture pattern I'd just made over the top of the folder - I usually use a little bit of Pritt-stick glue to keep it exactly in the right place.  Now it's ready to go through the machine.  If you look closely you can see the "wibbly" outline around the text
The embossing folder I used has different patterns on it as you can see. Usually it's for using with the dots at the top and the snowflakes at the bottom with a space between perfectly made to fit a ribbon.
I cut a layered star in silver and glittered card and added silver ribbon, some extra snowflakes, some glitter and some gems.
Materials and Tools
Navy Blue card Blank, Silver card, White card
Glitter card; Silver and White
Glamour Dust Glitter, Gems
Embossing folder: Christmas Elegance (Crafter's Companion)
Snowflake punches; Martha Stewart, EK Success
Snowflake die; Small snowflakes 4x4 die (Cheery Lynn)
pc generated text
Craft Robo cut layered star 
There was a point when I questioned whether I'd actually come up with anything for this challenge - and I do hate to be beaten by a tricky one! Got there in the end though ;)
Do please visit the DCM BLOG to see all the fun cards made this week.
Back with more of my Darice samples next time so I hope you'll come back soon


 

4 comments:

Karen said...

This is so so gorgeous Kathy xxx

Kath said...

What an absolutely beautiful card. It is without doubt the best card I have seen so far this year. Really gorgeous.

Angelnorth said...

You made a fabulous job of a difficut challenge Kathy - lovely elegant card and the quote is perfect!

Rose Tresures said...

Love, Love, Love your card!! It is beautiful! hugs, Patty