Friday, August 14, 2015

Lumpy and Bumpy

This week it's my turn to set the challenge for the Daring Cardmakers and I've asked for lots of Touchy, Feely Texture on this week's cards.  The idea being that the cards feels as good as they look because it has so much interesting texture on there
I used some corrugated cardboard from some packaging as the base part of my card.  When I removed the upper brown paper from the cardboard I left just a few small pieces of the paper on there for a little extra interest.
The basket weave piece is made using a mix of acrylic paint and texture paste wiped thickly over a stencil 
I've also added some metal elements and some lovely soft velvet to the Texture medley ;)


Materials and Tools 
Smooth White square card blank
Materials and Tools
Corrugated card from packaging
Green Pink, White and Diamond White Bazzill card (flowers)
Acrylic paint (Fresco Finish)
Texture Paste
Velvet ricrac trim, Green sating ribbon
Dragonfly metal charm and circular metal clip
Homemade sentiment sticker
Basketweave Stencil (Crafter's Workshop) 
Flower punch (Xcut)
Dies: 
Tiny Butterfly from Butterfly Trio (Memory Box) 
Leaf Swirls (Spellbinders)

Do you like the flowers? On the picture below, the 2 flowers on the left are some of the ready-made cherry blossom flowers from my stash, the group of 5 on the right are ones I've made.
I love the cherry blossom style flowers that came in a DT box ages ago - but my supply is dwindling now.  I had a hunt around on the web and found large packs for a pretty good price - if you wanted 60 of a single colour. then I found small packs but not so much colour choice and in packs of about 10 for around half the price of the 60s!  
So I wondered about making my own, and realized that I had the right shapes flower punch (though very slightly smaller) and also some stamens - though they were bright white and pearlised which I don't particular;y like so I dipped a load of the stamen ends in some Vanilla Acrylic paint and left them to dry,
A bit of inking and shaping with ball ended embossing tools and here's what I ended up with


I'm quite chuffed because now I can have whatever colour I want to match my project.  I'll probably make a template to cut very slightly bigger petals on my Silhouette, then cut a batch in white and one in pale cream so that I can just ink them to the colours I want.  If I can source some nicer stamens I'll be able to make these really quickly - I'm not keen on hanging around waiting for stuff to dry! 


Our fabulous Design Team have made some stunning cards this week - they always do!  You can check them out HERE.  I hope you'll join in with our challenge this week, I'd love to see what you make - even if I can't test the touchy feeliness of it!
Thanks for visiting, please leave a message :)

11 comments:

Tracy Welham said...

Love it, great use of the corrugated card and really like the basket weave texture. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Linda Simpson said...

This is fabulous I love the design. You should enter this into our Creative Artiste Challenge as this would fit perfectly.
Hugs
Linda xxxx

Jackie T said...

Hi this is a gorgeous card I love all the textures you have added. Have a great weekend. Hugs Jackie

Andree said...

A fantastic card Kathy. I love the textures and details. Your flowers are fabulous, clever you! Linda beat me to it suggesting the Creative Artiste challenge, we'd love to see you there xx

Angelnorth said...

Great "lumpy bumpy" textures and your cherry blossoms turned out beautifully!

Laine said...

Lovely texture creation Kathy.
Laine
xx

Wren said...

Oh this is gorgeous... just want to reach out and touch it! Great use of texture. Thanks for the inspiration! x

Adele said...

Simply gorgeous. LOVE the colours and textures. xx

Lesley said...

I have some coloured corrugated card and I've been wondering how to use it! Now I know! Thanks for the inspiration Kathy :) x

Gez Butterworth said...

Loving all your lumpy, bumpy bits Kathy!! How clever are you, your flowers are AMAZING ♥

Dawn said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! I love the corrugated card & the added details!
Hugs
Dawn xx