Friday, May 13, 2016

Unlucky for Some

Hello
Not such a nice day here so far today - it's a bit dull and windy - and as I've just been out in the garden I can say that it's not particularly warm either!
It's also Friday the 13th, if you are interested in these things.  I've just checked the calendar and I think it's the only one this year.  Our lovely Svenja has chosen this 'unlucky for some' date to base her challenge for the Daring Cardmakers around:
It’s Svenja here and as today is Friday 13th some of us might be feeling a little triskaidekaphobic about it. So I decided that my challenge needs to be
good luck
– just for that little extra bit that might be needed…
Extra (virtual) brownie points for anyone who shows signs of good luck-superstitiousness, e.g. lucky clover, horseshoes, chimney sweeps… what else can you think of?"

Do people still give those silver covered cardboard horseshoes (and I seem to remember rolling pins too) decorated with ribbon and a few flowers to newly-weds? I do remember them from weddings I went to when I was very little, but I'm pretty sure we didn't receive anything like that. Anyway,
my first plan was to make a wedding card with a little horseshoe charm on it - I was sure I'd have some.  It turned out I didn't, so while I was thinking about whether I could cut something that would look ok on the Silhouette another idea came to me - the little rhyme that goes "See a penny, pick it up, and all day long you'll have good luck"
I didn't have a penny either
But finding a decent image of an old penny to print out and use was much easier than the horseshoe idea!  

Info:
I resized the picture to print out exactly the right size for the pucnh I wanted to use; printed onto glossy photo paper it looks quite real, especially when a couple of layers of copper coloured card were added to give the right sort of dimension.  
The verse was printed onto white Bazzill card. I used the RGB codes for a good coppery colour from the photo'd penny to match the colour of the wording
Using the same Bazzill card, I stencilled the 'Textured Drip Rings' design (Memory Box) with a few different shades of orange and coppery ink
Once dry, I cut an aperture in the stencilled piece and adhered to the copper card mat with 3D glue. then glued the verse inside the 'frame' 
To make the penny more interesting I made a spring from some wire, and hiding the ends with smaller punched card circles attached it to the card.

You can see the wire spring under the penny in the last couple of photos.  What do you think?  Does it look realistic? Would you be tempted to pick it up?  hahaha
That's it for the crafty stuff today, but I'm also adding another post today, with photos from our visit to the fabulous Sky Gardens, where we had breakfast one day during our recent stay in London - probably my favourite of the places we visited!  So please check out that post HERE too
Thanks for looking

12 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

beautiful text and great card Kathy.

your photo's above are stunning.


gr karin

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous card Kathy, love the design and great idea with the penny too.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Angelnorth said...

Looks very realistic and the spring is a fab touch, love it!

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a wonderful card. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Svenja said...

Great card, Kathy! I already told you I loved the colours but your lucky penny is the highlight. And what a great idea to put it on a spring, love that!

Unknown said...

Great card Kathy, with a really clever design. The colours are fabulous too. Cathy x

Angela said...

Fabulous card, I certainly haven't seen anything like it before x

Brawny x said...

Fab card Kathy x

Andree said...

A fabulous card Kathy, that penny looks real xx

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

I think that sentiment everytime I see a penny and pick it up. Too fun

Angela Dodson said...

Hi Kathy, fabulous design with the penny!! I remember this rhyme from childhood and now you have me talking to myslef at my keyboard repeating it!! :D

Unknown said...

Love your card Kathy, a beautiful sentiment. I get so mad with my children and grandchildren who refuse to pick pennies off of the ground, they see no value. Hugs xxxx