Friday, February 10, 2012

Hearts and Doilies

It's Nat's turn to set the challenge this week on the Daring Cardmakers Blog:
With Valentine's Day just around the corner I wasn't about to let the opportunity for using my current two favourite design elements pass us by!

This week I want to see you make a card that features both...
Hearts and Doilies
There are so many ways to combine the two. Why not experiment and try something new?
 I haven't any paper doilies in my stash atm - I did have a couple but I was experimenting with them and some ink and I overdid it and all I ended up with was a soggy lump of paper and very inky fingers.... Kept meaning to get some more but haven't got A Round Tuit yet.
So I used my Spellbinders Floral Doily Motifs die instead, I had to cut the large heart free hand as Craft Robo is poorly atm (note to self: must sort that out)
 I've thrown rather a lot of stuff into the mix here, but it was fun to make and it'll be hubby's valentine card next week - though he'll think it's far to fussy and as for the ribbon......... oh my gosh! :)
Materials
Cream wide-ribbed card blank
Papers: MME Lost and Found (12x12), the glittery "Love" motif is also cut from one of the papers
Chipboard small hearts and arrow: Maya Road (Charmed Cards and Crafts)
Large pin and Red organza ribbon (Creative Treasures - don't forget they have blog candy on offer atm)
Beads from my stash, Inks, Gold Ice Stickles, Red Stickles
Tools
Spellbinders Floral Doily Motifs die
"you" is from the Cuttlebug Love Language A2 Combo set
 While on the theme of lurrrrrve, I thought I'd share the first page I'm made for my new little maze book - I'm just going to fill this book with favourite, inspiring or though-provoking quotations.  As the LOs can only be about 7.5cms square they won't be too complicated - that said, it's always amazing how long even the tiniest project can take to do.  I've heard scrapbookers say "Oh it's only a little card, they can't take as long to make as a 12x12 page...." yeah, right!!!!!
I've used the February LO plan from The Sketch File for this - just to prove that they are good for things other than cards - and that they work when you shrink them!
Materials:
Funky Hand "I Heart You" papers
small pink heart shaped gem
Quotation piece is pc generated using various fonts

Kitchen/Building Update:
Not much has happened this week - the electrician has been here for a couple of days doing all the 2nd fix things that he can do for now.  The tiler was due today but has been held up on the job before ours so will be here from Monday.  I hope the rest of the tiles (the pretty "feature" ones) for the cloakroom are in by then....grrrr.  The painter will be back next week too and with a bit of luck our lovely Corian work surfaces will be ready to fit by the end of the week.  So fingers crossed it'll be nice and busy here all next week, with not too much left to be done after that.
Thanks for visiting today, please leave a message, I do love to read them
Have a great weekend

9 comments:

Angelnorth said...

Fab card and it wouldn't be you if you hadn't thrown a lot at it (although you have made friends with white space somewhat recently, I note!). I wish I could throw stuff and have it come out like yours, mine just looks like an explosion in an embellishment shop!

Kath said...

I am sure your kitchen will be fabulous when it is finished ,Kathy. Love your maze book page. I agree, these take just as long as big projects. Such a good idea I might have to steal it and make one for myself. :) I love the quote and how you have printed it. It's a pretty card too.

Oscar said...

Beautiful card Kathy, adore the 'love' sentiment. x

Karen said...

hehe as Joanne says...it wouldn't be you if you hadn't 'thrown everything at it'. Its one gorgeous looking card & your hubby should be very happy as its made with love!

Awe, I haven't made a maze book for ages xxx

Natty said...

Hope your robo is on the mend soon Kathy! But this card is just lovely, so luxuriant and chic and so perfect for Valentine's Day. :D Love the glitter too! :)

Paula J Atkinson said...

Hey Kathy, good to "meet" you again.
Love the card, it looks full of colour & texture.

Jules said...

Hi Kathy

Loving your projects.

The card you have posted is amazing. My kind of thing!! I love it!!!

Hope hubby loved it too and that your building work is all taking shape.

Love Jules xx

lisa said...

Hi Kathy. thanks so much for the visit, bet you thought I'd emigrated, so sorry for being absent for so long. I've been trying to blog less and craft more!!!!!
I've had a lovely look back through what you've been up too and loved the Xmas photos and here we are on Valentine's Day. Where did those 6 weeks go too!! Your card is gorgeous. I should have stopped by yesterday when I was wrestling with Hubby's card. It ended up in the bin and I had to resort to one from my box!!!! Still he liked it thank goodness.
Good Luck with all your building work, sounds hectic.
Hugs Lisax

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Wow I absolutely love your Valentine's card Kathy. I love all the details, and how it all just fits together so well and I love the rich colours x