Friday, May 04, 2012

Colouring May


Here in the UK it seems that Shades of Grey are the only colours we've seen for most of the last few weeks but at least over on the Daring Cardmakers we've had some pretty colours to play with for our challenge this week.
The first Friday of the month is "Colour Combo Challenge" time and this month it was Keilly who chose our theme of muted sea-green, aqua, pinks and cream via this fab inspiration photo
I loved the look of the flowers on the photo, so thought I'd start off by making a similar flower of my own.  I was very brave ;-) and instead of throwing loads of flowers into the mix I managed to stick to using just one!
It took a while to make my flower, but in the end took less time than deciding on the background - why is that so often the case?  Probably because I rarely plan what I'm going to do before getting stuck in.  I feel this is also the reason that after making something like this my desk always looks lie someone emptied the contents of every shelf and drawer on to it - which, to be fair, I did!
Materials:
Cream card blank
Mix of papers from Dream Street Papers, MME and Fancy Pants
Pink Silky Crush ribbon for bow from Creative Treasures
Hand-cut Tag
Home-made decal sentiment
Tools:
Border; Spellbinders Moroccan Accents die,
Flower; Tim Holtz Flower die, Memory Box Cherry Blossom for centre
Lots of ink!
Quilling tools for shaping flower

I was really pleased with the way this flower turned out and I hope it doesn't get too squashed when I send the card to my SiL for her birthday!
 These are such pretty colours to work with - even though it did take a bit of stash exploring to find them.  Stash exploring is good though as you find all sorts of lovely things you'd forgotten about!
The DCM Blog looks gorgeous with this colour palette so please check it out.
Thanks for visiting

14 comments:

Hazel said...

Totally gorgeous kathy x

Kath said...

That's lovely, Kathy and your flower is gorgeous.

Kaz said...

I love this Kathy and your flowers is gorgeous!! I love these colours xxx

Anice said...

The colours for this challenge are beautiful but not as beautiful as your flower creation. Wonderful work Kathy, you are always an inspiration.
Anice xx

paddy said...

I agree! Super card and gorgeous flower - any instructions??? Colours you have used are perfect.xx

Karen said...

You must be soooo pleased to get back to girly stuff again :-D

WOW your flower is truly gorgeous, it looks so real Kathy. I bow to your expertise in flower making my lovely xxx

Lythan said...

this is amazing Kathy- I think it might be in my top ten of your cards :)

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Kathy, this is stunning! I love the colour scheme and your flower is beautiful.
xx

Janice said...

Absolutely gorgeous, fabulous colour combo, one of my faves.

mckinkle said...

This is quite beautiful Kathy, that bloom is gorgeous and I love the flow of the colours too.

Keryn x

Paula J Atkinson said...

Gorgeous colour combination, love that blossom. I have a thing for using border punches & I see this one looks ratehr lovely!

Natty said...

That flower is just gorgeous Kathy - it really adds the perfect finishing touch. :)

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

I love everything about this card - the background papers, that lovely border and of course that stunning flower! Sx

Angelnorth said...

Beautiful flower Kathy, the shading looks fabulous!