Friday, May 11, 2012

What's all the Fuss About?

Two posts in one day - something that doesn't happen very often around here - but as I forgot to post the pics of Izzy's birthday card yesterday I decided not to leave it any longer so if you scroll down to the next post you can see how I altered one of my favourite Funky Hand cards to make it into a great big 18th birthday card for my lovely niece.

Today is Daring Cardmakers day and it's Jo's turn to set the challenge.  Jo is brilliant at putting bits and bobs together to create something fabulous and it's always a treat to see what she makes.  I think she's let us into one of her secrets with her challenge  this week!

This week it's Jo here to set the challenge and I'd like you to use 
your patterned paper in a slightly different way
"Fussy Cutting"
Instead of using your paper "straight", this week it's all about using the designs
 on the paper as your inspiration and cutting bits from them to build up a background and/or to make an embellishment 
We're looking forward to seeing how you make your papers work for
you this week, so grab your scissors and get clipping
So, at first I was going to do something flowery and layered, but as I still had a "boys" card to do so went for a wander through the boxes of paper and came across some Graphic 45 papers I'd bought with man-cards in mind.
One side of the paper features vintage postcard and poster images advertising various sporting venues.  My BiL plays golf, so I used a couple of the golfing images to make my card.
I've just had a quick "google" and the golf club is real and still exists,
I cut a full length piece of A4 to 14cm wide then folded it up to make 2 "peaks" - this way I could add extra dimension to the scene.
the extra peak      I've used two "posters" from the sheet of paper.  From one I cut the main golfer, the onlookers and the golfer in the cream outfit, all layered up on and behind the blue oval.  The second image was used pretty much as it is on the sheet of paper, but it was a bit too tall for my card, so I cut the "Cruden Bay" bit off and made that into a signpost to stick on the back section.  I made the little flag from another part of the sheet of paper, and the green Argyll design is on the reverse of the sheet.
Materials:
Papers, Graphic 45 (golfing images, both Argyll patterns and darker blue design, light blue is from Echo Park
Green card, Inks

No extra "stuff" added - that was quite a surprise when I came to make my materials list - no brads, ribbon etc - not even Glossy Accents.

I think I'd better go and have a lie down!!
Please check out the DCM Blog for lots of ideas on how to use your papers as a starting point and really make them work for you - it's often more fun than just using them the way the manufacturers intended ;)
Thanks for popping in today


9 comments:

Angelnorth said...

Great masculine card, the fold looks fab!

Kaz said...

What a fab card Kathy! Those papers are perfect aren't they for those awkward men?! xxx

tracy said...

great card kathy :)

Lythan said...

this is amazing kathy. Bet it stays out on the shelf for ages and is admired by all :)

Kat said...

Great male card Kathy.

I came from the Crafty Cardmakers blog for a nosey when I saw the name "Cruden Bay" on your card. I live about five miles from the village of Cruden Bay in Aberdeenshire. I think the golf club is still very popular and gets lots of visitors from overseas.

Kat x

Traceyr said...

Wow lots of fussy cutting Kathy and what a super one too. :)

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Gorgeous card Kathy, and I love the golf theme x

Vicki Fraser said...

Wow, that card is a golfers dream! It is fabulous I love it!

Jo said...

Brilliant Kathy - the argyle is perfect for a golfing theme and I love how you've made your card from just paper and card - amazing!