Friday, March 01, 2013

Key Lime Pie

As soon as I saw Sharon's palette for the Daring Cardmakers' March Colour Combo Challenge I thought of Key Lime Pie - and it's a thought that's haunted us all week - so much so that one of the team admitted to buying one for her pudding the other day.....
No, it wasn't me :)

We've a wonderful new Guest Designer joining us for the next couple of months; Svenja is from Germany and stamping is her first love.  Another piece of news is that Beckie has agreed to stay on as part of the regular team.  I've known Beckie for years now and have always been in awe of her fabulous crafting, so I'm especially pleased that we'll be seeing more of her work on the DCM blog.

Anyway, you can read more and see all the cards over on our very colour coordinated blog today - we'd love it if you'd join in with us this week.
Here's my card
The flower isn't as yellowy in real life as it's turned out on the photos, the card I used is much closer to the creamy-pale peachy shade on Sharon's inspiration photo, but you can't have it all, eh?
The flower was created using this fab tutorial over on the Tonic blog.  It's easy enough to make following the instructions - I've made a few of these now and have some extra tips if you are interested!
   1. I think you need a few more petals than the 15 or so on the tutorial - extra for a fuller centre, and to fill in any gaps you spot in the overall appearance
   2. Attach the second layer of frilled petals to another star or 5 petalled flower punchie as well as doing this with the bottom layer.  Punch the second one from the same paper as your petals.  When the two petal layers are dry, glue the second one in place making sure that the frilled petals of this layer are between those of the lower layer.  Now continue filling in the centre of the flower
   3. Take your time and let the glue dry - the frilled petals have a tendency to move around on the points of the star base as you are adding more and this can spoil the spacing of the petals and leave odd-looking gaps


Materials and Tools
Cream card blank
Papers; All MME Lost and Found "Breeze" 6x6
Bazzill;  Pale creamy-peach, Green
Pearls - coloured with Versamark green ink
Cream Lace
Decal sticker sentiment
Craft Robo; for cutting flower petals, 
the rose leaf piece and the curvy background for the sentiment

That's about all - I hope you like it
Thanks for looking


5 comments:

Kaz said...

What a beautiful card Kathy, I love the flower xxx

Angelnorth said...

Beautiful card Kathy! The flower made me think of pencil shavings (in a good way!) - will have to check out the tutorial.

Kath said...

What a lovely card, Kathy. I love the flower.

Hazel said...

I've been bad commenting this week (or perhaps that should say 'not commenting' - lol!) - anyway, have just had a good ol' catch up. Love the zesty lime on this and all the elements have come together so well. Love the digi colouring on the card below this and also hubby's iPhone card - great idea! x

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Beautiful card Kathy, that flower is really stunning. I'm going to have to have a go at one myself because the effect is fabulous.