Friday, June 27, 2014

Don't Run with Scissors

....in fact, put them in the drawer and don't use them at all....or the guillotine, either.... So go the instructions for this week's Daring Cardmakers challenge set by our lovely Miri! 
No scissors, please!
Decorate a card blank without using scissors or a paper cutter/guillotine. However, you may use your die cutting machine to add labels/shapes etc.
This is a perfect opportunity to use stamps, washi tape, ready-made embellishments etc.
So, go and hide your scissors … and start crafting!

It s long time since I did any paper tearing, so I thought that be a good way to tackle this one.  As I needed to print out some papers for this month's "Forgotten Funkies" post, I thought I'd use the same papers for both cards - sneaky, eh?  I'll blog my "Forgotten Funky" card next time, but if you want a sneak peek, click HERE

One of the great things about printing out Funky Hand papers is the knowldege that if it all goes wrong, you can just print out some more - which is very handy when you're trying to make a torn paper background - it's so easy to tear away more than you should

I used the base card as a guide then "nibbled" away at the gingham design to get the right sort of size.  I tore the other two panels in the same way, then tore another strip to make the stripey "ribbon" - then I scored and folded to get the straight edges and a bit of extra dimension
I was really pleased at how the flower turned out.  To make it I just tore loads of different sized "circles" from a few different papers, crumpled them, used a large ball embossing tool and then inked the edges. I then just crumpled the edges again and layered them up, adding a touch of glue between each layer.  The torn and inked edges give a great carnation effect to the finished flower, I think - and is so easy to do that it'll definitely be used again!

To finish the card, I used Miri's "permitted" tools of punches and die cuts; die cuts for the swirky flourishes and a small circle punch for the faux brads (or Card Candy)

Materials and Tools
All papers: Funky Hand CD "Colour Me Happy", this colour collection is "Glad Rags"
printed on both sides of white Bazzill cardstock
Xcut tiny circle punch used to punch the little flowers from one of the paper designs and make the "brads"
Dies from Spellbinders, Memory Box and MFT-DieNamics

Head over to the DCM BLOG to see how the rest of our fab team dealt with Miri's challenge - we'd love you to join in with us!

5 comments:

Angelnorth said...

The flower is gorgeous Kathy - as you say, very carnationy! Lovely card, I thought the stripey strip was ribbon at first glance, great idea to score for straight edges!

Karen said...

What an intriguing idea not to use scissors! I have them right by my hand and use them all the time. You have certainly done the prompt justice with this lovely card Kathy x

Lythan said...

What a clever idea to double side print the papers Kathy - a lightbulb moment for me as I would never have thought of that. That flower looks too delicate to have been made with torn circles - it is absolutely brilliant

Debbie said...

What a great idea and quite an amazing challenge for any crafter.must challenge myself.Beautiful card.loving the layers and the distressed edges.awesome flower and pretties too.hugs x

Miri said...

Your card is lovely, Kathy. I bet that you would be brave enough to tear paper ... even if you can't print ot out again in case you've messed up =)