Friday, November 14, 2014

Light a Candle

It's my turn to set the challenge for the Daring Cardmakers this week:


 "Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared."    ~Buddha
So this week I'd simply like to see some candles on your cards, whether its just one candle or lots of them - and for any reason you want.
It always takes me a while to get into "Christmas card mode", and I try to keep the bulk of my Christmas cards fairly simple to put together (which isn't usually the case with my cards). so it's nice to use the DCM challenges to have a bit more fun with embellishments, dimension and lots of layers!

The main trouble this week was that it's my challenge - and most of the team will tell you that making something for your own challenge is the hardest of all.  Why that should be the case is a mystery, but that's the way it is!
Thus, it shouldn't have been a surprise when  this one took most of the day to make - and  I'm not happy because I wanted to use red ribbon  but didn't have enough of the right shade to do it. maybe  I should have planned ahead....haha, that'll be the day!


This one involved lots of die-cutting, making and cutting templates for the Silhouette and some ridiculously fiddly sticking of tiny berries which I could have done much more quickly and easily with blobs of Stickles....but by that time my brain was frazzled!
I bought the holly border last year and find it quite handy as because the very fine strand that joins the leaves  allows it to be quite pliable for bending into different shapes - like a circle for instance....


Tools and Materials
Cream card blank
Bazzill card: white (for printing papers on to), dark green for larger holly
Dark Red Glitter paper (Best Creations)
Green ribbon, Srickles (yellow, dark red)
Candles and flames are handcut
Sentiment is pc generated
 Silhouette Cameo:
Frame with circle in it, plus the turquoise mat behind it
Petals for the poinsettia
Dies: 
Large holly; Crafters Companion
Holly border die (Memory Box), I've used 3 of the strands to go around the circle and to make the wreath and add some extra strands to fill it out, plus a 4th  on the side panel at the right
Mini Holly Leaves and Berries ( Memory Box) for extra leaves
Slellbinders Labels 34 to make backing for sentiment 
Snowflakes cut using a Cheery Lynn plate of tiny snowflakes

There  are some fantastic ideas on ways to use candles on cards from our fab Design Team over on the blog, so please check them out HERE

I hope you'll join in and play along this week
Thanks for visiting

3 comments:

Kath said...

That's a gorgeous card, Kathy. I can tell a lot of work has gone into it but it is lovely.

Angelnorth said...

I think the green ribbon works well - looks nicely balanced to me, great card!

Miri said...

Your card is a work of art. I love it!